Adopted at the Nevada Republican State Convention
May 13, 2016
- We the people of the Nevada Republican Party, affirm that this Nation and this State were founded upon the principle that all people are created equal; that the powers of government as outlined in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights are derived from the people for the purpose of protecting the people’s God given right to be free and to choose their own pursuit of life, liberty, and happiness; without regard to race, gender, religion, country of origin, or sexual orientation. We invite those who agree with the principles and platforms stated herein to join with our efforts so that this nation will continue to be “The last best hope of earth;” and, so that this nation will return to the principle that we are a “government of the people, by the people, and for the people.”
Budget, Economy and Taxation
- We strongly support those in public office who actively support and work toward lower taxes and fees, and seek to reduce the size, cost and scope of government at all levels.
- Residents of the State of Nevada are not under-taxed and state government is not under-funded. Our current budget crisis is the result of years of overspending. Government cannot tax the state or the residents into prosperity.
- We support the current Nevada constitutional prohibition on personal income tax, and the same prohibition must continue to apply to business. Gross receipts taxes, Commerce Tax and any other selective taxes on specific businesses will ultimately drive business away from our state.
- We support the dissolution of any “Nevada IRS” created by the Commerce Tax or any other tax.
- We support elimination of recent Congressional excessive spending, earmark spending, un-funded mandates, the death/estate tax, alternative minimum tax and double taxation on corporate dividends and social security.
- We support sales tax exemption on all Internet sales.
- We reject ceding control of the Internet to non-US political entities.
- We support eliminating the IRS and replacing the current federal tax structure with a simplified tax code, such as the flat tax or fair tax.
- We support zero-based (all expenditures justified) balanced budgets at all levels of government to be fully disclosed to the public.
- All elected and appointed public servants must live by the same laws as the public, including social security, health care, retirement benefits, etc.
- Citizens should have the right to self-direct a portion of their social security account.
- We oppose the practice of extending sunsetted taxes.
- We oppose adoption of increased taxes on the mining industry.
- We support a free market economy. The government shall not pick winners and losers using taxpayer dollars (Nevada’s Catalyst Fund), tax subsidies, loan guaranties, and other public-private partnerships.
- We support elimination of minimum wage laws and allow the free market to determine wage levels.
- We support the elimination of Davis-Bacon laws and prevailing wages.
- We expect our elected representatives and the courts to interpret the Constitution using original intent and context.
- We demand that our representatives at all levels of government abide by their Oath of Office.
- We affirm the First Amendment in its totality – religion, speech, press, assembly, and petition the government for redress of grievances. We believe the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States was intended to prevent a state sponsored religion, rather than a separation of God from government. Attempts to force individuals or religious institutions to violate their conscience are contrary to the Constitution.
- The Second Amendment is the recognition of a God given right to keep and bear arms recognized under both the U.S. and Nevada Constitutions. No government entity shall infringe upon that right. We vow to preserve and defend that right against any infringements by statute, initiative, regulation, executive order, international treaty, gun registration or permit requirement.
- We strongly oppose Question 1, The Background Check Initiative (Bloomberg Gun Control Initiative) on the November 2016 ballot.
- We support reciprocity between all fifty states with respect to concealed carry permits.
- We strongly support the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States that protects the right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers and effects against unreasonable searches, seizures, liens and forfeitures without due process. Congress repeal provisions of the U. S. A. Patriot Act, Military Commissions Act, the Defense Authorization Act, warrantless NSA monitoring, and similar legislation that clearly violate fundamental privacy rights afforded by the Constitution.
- We oppose any government entity or person(s) from seizing property, rights or interests (asset forfeiture) without due process and conviction.
- All Government branches shall respect the rights of the States in accordance with the Tenth Amendment. The Nevada Attorney General shall defend the rights of the State of Nevada and the people as defined by the Tenth Amendment.
- We support Constitutional justification for all new Federal and State legislation.
- Federal and State legislation should be limited to a single issue referencing the applicable Constitutional authority and allow a 24 hour public review period for every twenty pages of text after a bill is presented to the floor.
- The federally mandated educational system is failing our children and not preparing them to succeed in today’s global economy. We support the elimination of the US Department of Education.
- Our public education system needs substantial improvement, and we support local control of education where the money follows the child, giving parents more options in school choice.
- We oppose mandated curricula such as Common Core, as well as the testing, data collection, data mining, and tracking that follows students for life.
- We support student loan privatization.
- We support vocational/technical education.
- We advocate proof of U.S. citizenship and residency at the time of voter registration and requiring government issued photo ID at the time of voting.
- We oppose same day voter registration to preserve election integrity.
- We strongly support all electronic voting systems having a voter verified paper audit trail, used in the event of a recount.
- We strongly support term limits for all elected offices.
- We support expanding the First in the West presidential caucus model to include absentee ballots and extended hours for voting.
- Any level of dependence on foreign oil threatens our national security and fragile economy. We must continue to aggressively develop and pursue domestic energy resources including, but not limited to, petroleum, natural gas, coal, nuclear and alternative sources.
- We believe the free market should determine the development of all energy resources, free from government planning, interference, regulation, subsidy or mandate.
- We support positioning Yucca Mountain as a world class, high-tech nuclear research and science facility predicated upon sound, safe and proven scientific principles.
- Nevada should negotiate an agreement so that Nevadans enjoy the financial and economic benefits of hosting the nation’s nuclear assets.
English as Our Official Language
- We support legislation affirming English as the official language for conducting business at all levels of government.
- We support defunding and repeal of the 2010 Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
- We support patient centric and market driven health care and insurance programs that includes tort reform, freedom to purchase insurance across state lines, tax-credited health savings accounts, expanded client pools and other free market benefits.
- We support restoring full funding to Medicare.
- We welcome people from all nations, races and cultures who enter our country legally and support the freedoms, principles and language of the United States of America.
- We support strict enforcement of all immigration laws by all levels of government and law enforcement.
- We oppose amnesty, government benefits or other special treatment for those who enter the United States illegally.
- We oppose sanctuary cities.
- We strongly support securing our borders for purposes of protecting our national health and welfare. Individual states have the right to enforce their borders.
- We do not support automatic citizenship for children born in the United States to foreign visitors or to those who are here temporarily or illegally. We do not believe the original intent of the Fourteenth Amendment (adopted in 1868) was to confer citizenship on children born to non-citizens.
- The powers of government should be limited to those enumerated in the U.S. and states constitutions. We support less government, lower taxes, less regulation and more individual responsibility.
- Eliminate bureaucracies that demonstrate wasteful spending, operational inefficiencies, and use regulatory powers to infringe on individual rights.
- Congress should address the constitutionality of all executive orders and regulations issued by agencies within sixty days of enactment.
- We support independent auditing with full disclosure and transparency of the Federal Reserve, Fannie Mae, Freddy Mac and all other federally sponsored corporations.
- We support the repeal of the Federal Reserve Act and returning the power of minting and printing money to the Congress of the United States.
- We do not support any cap and trade laws.
- We support removing local, state, and federal governments from the marriage covenant.
Military / National Defense
- We urge our government to fully fund and support our military as necessary to meet the demands of modern warfare.
- We support the reduction of military commitments around the world to their original mission of National Defense. Only Congress can declare war or engage in “police actions.”
- We support a strong Veterans Administration subject to effective oversight and audit to ensure veterans and their families receive the care, benefits and support earned as promised.
- We support an aggressive program to protect the electrical grid and other infrastructure against EMP (electromagnetic pulse) and cyber attacks.
Nevada Land Use and Management
- We support the federal government relinquishing to the State of Nevada her federally managed lands (to exclude constitutionally authorized uses).
- We support renewed date of priority on existing water rights with a change in manner of use, place of use and point of diversion. We support grandfathered (2 afa) domestic water well usage exempt from water meters over any future for-profit use.
- We support the 1872 mining law including the recognition of easements and rights-of-way.
- We strongly support the mining industry. We strongly oppose any laws, regulations, ordinances or other legally binding actions that diminish the ability of the mining industry to discover and/or access minerals and mine them.
- We strongly support the livestock and agricultural industries in Nevada including the individual ownership of grazing preference, water rights, and access to grazing lands. We strongly oppose any laws, regulations, ordinances or other legally binding actions that diminish the ability of ranches, farms and their livestock to make productive use of lands or forages under the control of each ranch and farm.
- We support removing limitations imposed by the Federal government in the development of natural resources.
- We oppose the designation of additional wilderness areas, national monuments, wildlife refuges or wilderness study areas in Nevada.
- Controlled or prescribed fire and grazing should be used in concert with proper grazing management and other vegetation management tools to provide for sustainable rangelands and rangeland enterprises (e.g. livestock production, wildlife, recreation, etc.).
- We strongly support removal of the sage hen (grouse) from consideration for inclusion on the endangered species list.
Recognition of Israel
- We support Israel as a sovereign state and a valuable democratic ally, and recognize her right to exist and defend herself.
Sanctity of Life
- We affirm the sanctity of life and the inherent dignity of each human being from conception to natural death. The unborn child has a fundamental right to life and should be welcomed into life and protected under the law.
- We oppose government funding of abortion and organizations that advocate for or provide abortions.
- As long as abortion is legal, we support parental/legal guardian notification and consent for minor girls seeking an abortion.
- We recognize our duty to honor the family, to assist it, and to ensure especially the freedom to establish a family, have children, and bring them up in keeping with the family’s own moral and religious convictions.
- We support limits on the authority of the Federal Government as determined by the United States Constitution. We support striking Article 1, Section 2, from the Nevada State Constitution which grants the Federal Government authority to employ armed force against the people of the State of Nevada.
- We support our national sovereignty and reject the concept of global governance. No treaty shall supersede the United States Constitution, nor shall international foreign law be relied on or cited.
- We strongly oppose implementation of the United Nations’ Agenda 21 and Agenda 2030, which lead directly to central control over private property, energy, water use, food production, ownership and use of automobiles, population control, heat and air conditioning in our homes and many other issues.
- We support foreign aid only to those countries that support the United States, and it should have a clear, defined purpose and transparent audit trail.
- We support ending our current financial contribution to the United Nations and ultimately withdrawing from the United Nations.